Monday, May 05, 2014

Rotterdam Zoo



Hello everybody. Today me is going to blog about one of the oldest Dutch zoos that me have visited two times now: The Rotterdam Zoo called Diergaarde Blijdorp. When it opened its doors in 1855 it was merely a garden for water birds and pheasants. Also the general public was not allowed to come and visit the zoo. Only people who were a member of the society – mostly people with loads of money and a high social status – were allowed to visit the gardens. Over the years the zoo started to take form and more animals came to live in Rotterdam.

To make it more appealing – and to earn more money – the normal people were allowed to visit the zoo too. At first only once a year, but slowly (because they could use the money) it was more common for the common people to come over and visit the zoo. In the early 1930s the zoo moved to its current location. A good choice, because during the heavy bombardments during WW II the zoo was spared – although large pieces were destroyed a few days before also due to bombing. The good part of it was that they could design a newer, more modern zoo during the 1940s and after the war they could rebuild it.


May 4th 2014

And the Rotterdam zoo is still remodelling and getting more modern each year. There is a big part called Oceanium with salt water and sweet water aquariums and a shark tunnel (we ran through that with help from Berries friend because me and Berry don’t like sharks), but also penguins, sealions and other animals live there. Me loves the little raccoon we saw on our first visit of this year. And the tiger from Sumatra ofcourse who got some bunny slippers yesterday (the second time me visited). Me loved the little purplehead parrots too… O and there are wolves, polar bears, lions from Asia and so much more to see. Like elephants and a Tropical Butterfly garden called Amazonica. O and me melted when me saw this little baby hyena! He was so cute me wanted to cuddle with it. Me really have looked my little googly eyes out.


April 17th 2014

Me thinks me is glad this is not a real tiger. Because me saw what the tigress did with the fuzzy bunny and me did not want to end up as fuzzy slippers for a tiger – even though she had mesmerizing (wow that is hard word) eyes.


April 17th 2014

Me thinks Diergaarde Blijdorp – or Rotterdam Zoo – is a beautiful, huge zoo. Me was glad me hitched a ride on Berries back (like these meerkats did on the back of a turtle) because me would have had sore monsterpaws if me had to walk everything! But next time me can also take the little train that drives visitors from one side of the zoo to the other…


May 4th 2014

After the first visit Berry got me a new friend called Olli - he is googly eyed too. He is a supporter of the Rotterdam football team called Feyenoord. Me often goes to the matches of FC Utrecht so now me has a new buddy to watch the game with. She also bought me a nice cookie. What can I say, me is easily satisfied.


April 17th 2014

Berry took more cute picture of me, maybe me can share them with you soon too.
Byebye for now!

No comments: