Sunday, July 06, 2014

H is for…



…haring (herring)! A fat little fish the Dutch love to eat raw. Like sushi, but different. They take the tail between two fingers, tilt their head backwards and eat it right out of the air! A lot of people think it is gross to eat herring like that and just cut it in pieces to eat it with chopped onions and sliced pickles. Still it is a Dutch tradition to eat a herring that way. The Hollandse Nieuwe (Dutch new herring) is thought to be the most delicious. Me is not really into herring though…

Well to stay with the Dutch menu, Hete Bliksem (Hot Lightning) also starts with an H. Me also mentioned this stew made with apple in me first alphabet blog remember? A different kind of stew is Hachee (hash) made out of beef cubes and onions. O and me must not forget Hutspot (hotchpotch)! It is me favourite stew made out of onions, huge carrots and potatoes! It is delicious.


Hachee / Hutspot

But there is more! What about Huzarensalade (Russian salad). Me can eat it with baguettes, crackers of with some lettuce and tomatoes on a sandwich. Talking about sandwiches, me also loves to put a little butter with Hagelslag (chocolate sprinkles) on it. In the US sprinkles are used mainly to decorate cakes, doughnuts and icecream, but here a with roll or sandwich with sprinkles is a common breakfast treat!


Huzarensalade / Hagelslag

Last but not least me want to talk about the Dutch name of Man’s best friend. Me is ofcourse talking about Hond (dog) ofcourse. In the pictures you see me with two different dogs. The first one is called Bassie, who was Berries special friend for almost 17 years when he died at 16 and 11 months more than two years ago. He loved using me for a pillow, me loved that. Bassie is dearly missed. Berries new dog (now two years old) loves to use me for a pillow too and me loves that. You see him, Sammie, in the second picture. Me love it to be a puppy pillow! Though me thinks Sammie wants my cookie too...


Me and the hondjes

Well that concludes the letter H for today. Next week me is having a tough cookie handling the letter I, but me will think of something for sure.
Bye bye for now.

No comments: